↑ Return to Village Hall

Hall Licensing Guidelines

Under the Licensing Act 2003 Abbotts Ann War Memorial Hall has a current Premises Licence.

The hall is open from 08:00 to 00:00 Monday through Sunday.

Licensable activities within the Hall authorised by the licence are:
Plays, exhibition of film, indoor sporting events, boxing or wrestling entertainment, live music, recorded music, performances of dance, anything of a similar description to that of the last three descriptions, provision of entertainment facilities for making music, dancing or entertainment of a similar description to that above. 

The times the licence authorises the carrying out of licensable activities are: 
10:00 to 0:00 hours – except plays may not take place on Christmas Day or before 14:00 or after 0:00 hours on any Sunday or Good Friday.

Licence to sell alcohol
We have a full licence to sell alcohol Weekdays and Saturdays 11:00 to 23:30 and 11:00 to 23:00 on Sundays.

The Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the Hall Management Committee, a representative of which will train a deputy to act on their behalf for events organised by village organisations following the signing of the DPS Waiver Agreement. The cost of this licence is given in the Fees and Charges section. Training takes up to 30 minutes, please arrange this through the booking manager.

Any activity that is to take place within Abbotts Ann War Memorial Hall that is not in the above licensable activities will require a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is a notification given by an individual to Test Valley Borough Council giving notice of an event that is to take place. TENs replace the existing ‘occasional permissions’ and ‘occasional licences’ systems and relate to temporary events with less than 500 attendees where ‘licensable activities’ are planned to take place.

Licensable activities are: – “sale of alcohol, supply of alcohol in a registered club, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.”

A temporary event notice may only be given by an individual and not, for example, by an organisation or club or business. The individual giving the notice is the proposed “premises user”. Within businesses, clubs or organisations one individual will therefore need to be identified as the proposed premises user.

It is a requirement that you send copies of this notice with a fee as advised by TVBC to the licensing section of Test Valley Borough Council at least ten clear working days before the commencement of the proposed licensable activities. The authority will endorse one of the copies and return it to you as an acknowledgement. Copies must also be sent to the Licensing Officer of police at Andover and Environmental Health Services at Test Valley Borough Council at least ten clear working days before the commencement of the proposed licensable activities.

The Police may only object to a TENs on crime and disorder grounds, and if they do, notice of a hearing by the Council’s Sub Licensing Committee will be given. The Committee can decide to uphold or dismiss the Police objection.

When permitted temporary activities take place, a premises user must ensure that either:

  (1) A copy of the temporary event notice endorsed as acknowledged by the licensing authority is prominently displayed at the premises; or that
  (2) The temporary event notice endorsed as acknowledged by the licensing authority is kept at the premises either in his own custody or in the custody of a person present and working at the premises and whom he has nominated for that purpose.

Where the temporary event notice is in the custody of a nominated person, a notice specifying that fact and the position held by that person must be displayed prominently at the premises. 

  Temporary Event Notices can be obtained from Test Valley Borough Council’s website or contact our Booking Manager for more information
  Jordan Hall Phone: 07732 083370, when you book the Hall.


By continuing to use the Abbotts Ann Village Web Site, you agreeing to the use of cookies. More Information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.